FOR GRADES 9–12 AND POSTGRADUATES
Innovation Lab @Ross is an academy within Ross School that is designed for students who are passionate about science, mathematics, engineering, media, and technology. This stimulating and rigorous program enables students to conduct independent research and undertake self-directed learning in such fields as electronics, computer programming, marine science, and digital media. Students also have the opportunity to interact with the latest technological devices and concepts, including virtual reality, 3D printing, robotics, biotechnology, alternative energy, and the so-called "Internet of things." A variety of specialized laboratory and workshop spaces allow students to experience hands-on learning and develop technical and design skills. Students also interact with professional scientists through guest lectures, mentorships, pop-up courses, field trips, and online collaborations.
Innovation Lab students are fully engaged in the interdisciplinary Ross Spiral Curriculum, the heart of Ross School core studies, taking daily classes with their grade-level peers. Innovation Lab students enjoy an extended school day to focus on design thinking projects, immerse themselves in the latest technologies, and work on inquiry-based projects. Students apply their knowledge and skills to novel problems, think broadly about solutions to global challenges, and consider humanitarian applications of their work.
MARINE SCIENCE PROGRAM
Ross School's location on the East End of Long Island makes Innovation Lab @Ross and ideal place to study marine life, aquatic and estuary ecosystems, and the ocean and its relationship to the health and sustainability of our planet. Students can take specialized courses in marine science, oceanography, and environmental science, and pursue independent research and projects with a focus on the marine environment.
NETWORK OF ADVISORS
The Innovation Lab @Ross curriculum extends beyond the walls of Ross School, taking advantage of research opportunities in the field, online, and at nearby research facilities. In addition, Innovation Lab expands on the School’s tradition of cultivating relationships with mentors and scholars as part of its curricular model. Ross School invites individuals and institutions dedicated to research, entrepreneurship, and sustainability to help faculty design authentic, meaningful, real-world investigations or explorations for students. Innovation Lab students work both locally and globally as active partners in problem solving, gaining experience as scientists, engineers, designers, and mathematicians.
WHAT WILL YOU DO AT INNOVATION LAB @ROSS?
- Pursue your passions and interests through independent investigations.
- Design and create innovative solutions to complex problems.
- Interact with experts and professionals in academia and industry.
- Engage in service learning that addresses local and global needs.
- Harness the power of “crowd-funding” to raise money for entrepreneurial ventures.
- Share your discoveries worldwide using a variety of media.
Junior Innovation Lab @Ross
FOR GRADES 5–8
Junior Innovation Lab @Ross is a program for advanced students in grades 5–8 who are creative, inquisitive, and eager to explore the fields of science, mathematics, engineering, media, and technology. Students extend their school day several times per week, taking part in activities that promote creative problem solving, inquiry, imagination, collaboration, and experiential learning. Junior Innovation Lab is designed to foster and develop skills in our younger students that will prepare them for Innovation Lab @Ross in their high school years.
SAMPLE UNIT SYLLABUS
- Becoming a Scientist: Observation, Experimentation, and Hypothesis Testing
- Number and Nature: A Mini-Unit on Mathematics
- Designing Your World: 3D Design and Fabrication
- Programming and Robotics
- Checkmate! A Mini-Unit on Problem Solving and Critical Thinking
- Experiments, Investigations, and Independent Projects
- Hands-On Universe: Telescopes and Astronomy
- Making Music: A Mini-Unit on Digital Music and Sound Technology
- Marine Science and the Local Environment
WHAT WILL YOU DO AT JUNIOR INNOVATION LAB @ROSS?
- Work hands-on with computers and technology.
- Build things and take them apart to learn how they work.
- Explore environmental and sustainability issues.
- Learn from professionals who share your passion and curiosity.
- Compete in contests in math, science, and engineering.
- Work with media and technology to explore questions and present solutions.
- Build the skills to help you succeed in high school and beyond.